For aurora+ customers, sign in here to check your balance, see your daily usage and top up.
Lighting makes up between 8% and 15% of household power use, but there are easy ways you can reduce your power use when it comes to lighting.
1. Turn off lights when they’re not needed.
2. Paint walls in light colours (light colors reflect light)
3. Replace any halogen bulbs to LEDs, they use 75% less power and last up to 10 times longer!
4. Light dimmers allow lights to operate on a lower amount of power which saves you on power costs!
5. Install time, motion or light-sensing switches to your security lights.
6. Make the most of natural light, open your curtains and blinds during the day.
7. Dust can dim your lights, so dust them regularly.
8. Invest in solar lights (they charge up during the day and come on when it gets dark!)Read more lighting tips
It can be a challenge to keep rentals energy efficient. Alasdair's tip is easy, effective and a little bit green.
Gill saves on power by making her own light!
If there's one thing that Mark has learned working at Aurora, it's that making small changes can have a big impact when it comes to saving power.